welcome to mediaspaces
The aim of the Mediaspaces project (2004-2007) was to envision the characteristics and possibilities of the future seamless media environment, after digital convergence, to start to build a network of professionals, academics and organizations interested in understanding and exploiting this development, and to explore its possibilities with experimental environments.
Especially the project concentrated on exploring the future potential of new forms of digital video media. Later in the course of the project, the interest was further focused to exploring social video practices and developing ideas of tools to support them.
From this website you will find the main deliverables of the project and other publications and documentation of the activities carried out during the project.
Developing the design vision of the new evolving media environment; developing ideas of how the changes and the new circumstances will create new potential for media production and media practices. Learn more »
Concretizing the new possibilities of media in experimental productions as scenarios, demos, pilots and user trials.Learn more »
The networking activities have included organization of workshops, seminars, involvement in networks and development of new research initiatives.Learn more »
The Mediaspaces project operated in three main lines of activity: Design Vision - develop insight and vision of the characteristics and possibilities of the future digital environment, Networking - collaborate with professionals, academics and oraganization collaborators, and Experimental Productions - experiment with new media formats and uses.
1st Year - Productions and Scenarios
- Building the project team
- Mapping new potentials of the future mediaspace through scenario-based design
- Creation of new media concepts, formats and uses novel ways to organize, manage and navigate media
- Exploring new media formats and media practices in design research projects and experimental productions
2nd Year - New Initiatives, Exploring Social Media
- Social media tools and productions, software prototypes and components for collaborative video-editing
- Survey of the state-of-the-art video sharing services on the Internet
- IP Redesign Initiative including a workshop, and series of stakeholder and expert interviews; Creative Commons (CC) activities CC Finland a joint leadership with HIIT
- P2P-FUSION - a spinoff initiative as an EU project
3rd Year - Future Media Environment
- Finalizing the social media application tools and environment
- Further development of collaborative video editing tools in two trials
- Media and design research study project
- Producing documentation and communication materials from the project work
The project partners of the Mediaspaces research project were Arki Research Group in the Media Lab of University of Art and Design, the National Technology Agency of Finland TEKES, Nokia Design, Helsingin Sanomat and Digita.